Carved sculptures photographed by Guillaume Lemeunier (Paztec) in Anne of Cleves Museum, Lewes, May 4th 2016.
Bracket in Caen limestone from the last quarter of the 12th century. This ferocious lion is grasping a lion cub in its open mouth held between its four fangs. Note the flowing mane and the beard under the mouth. Lions are a common feature of capital decoration but carvings with a full frontal view of the face are unusual.
Mid-gothic corbel in Caen limestone from the third quarter of the 13th century . Found close to the site of a ‘healing’ well dedicated to St. Anne close to Ireland’s Lane in Lewes. It probably decorated the original well-head. The site was owned by the Priory. The face is oval. The eyes look downwards. The chin is well defined and the eye-brows clearly marked. The hair falls from the forehead in loose waves. Despite some damage, it clearly depicts a pretty woman.
Fifteenth century carved sculpture in Caen limestone from Lewes Priory. The subject is a series of combats between men in armour and a devil (left), a dragon (centre) and a wild man of the woods (right). The figures are separated by sprays of oak leaves and acorns.
It is likely that the frieze formed the upper part of a stone screen. Very little work from this period survives, particularly in this remarkable condition. It was originally found on the Priory site in two pieces, the smaller fragment on the right fitted the main fragment perfectly.
Reference: Godfrey, W.H. (1955) Fifteenth-century sculpture from Lewes Priory. The Antiquaries Journal 35, p. 88 (Notes).